Friday, 17 May 2013
Pepwave Surf SOHO 3G/4G Router Now Available
Pepwave/Peplink’s Balance and Max series of routers have become enormously popular with enterprise users and networking gurus thanks to their unrivaled feature set, but their price puts them out of reach for some users, and not everyone needs all of the advanced features these routers offer. Enter the Surf SOHO, Pepwave’s new 3G/4G WiFi router aimed at the home and small office market. The Surf SOHO offers a number of the most-used features offered by Pepwave’s higher-end enterprise routers, including 3G/4G USB modem support, failover, WiFi as WAN, QoS optimization, bandwidth monitoring, and advanced VPN functionality (“PepVPN”), but its affordable price tag (MSRP $129.99) and easy-to-use interface make it perfect for home and office users looking for a quality networking solution without breaking the bank.
Last Updated ( Friday, 17 May 2013 )
Friday, 17 May 2013
Verizon Wireless announces new 4G LTE markets
Wireless has just announced 4G LTE availability in some new markets
across the country. Customers in Corbin/Madisonville KY, Adrian/Mount
Pleasant MI and Marietta OH can now enjoy the latest wireless network.
This takes Verizon’s 4G LTE market coverage to 496 markets spread across
the U.S. covering over 90% of the country! Verizon is nearing their
goal of covering their entire 3G network with 4G LTE by the end of 2013
and delivering consistently fast data speeds. Most users on the network
can expect to receive 5-12Mbps download and 2-5Mbps upload, while many
users still report speeds far exceeding the average speeds.
Wilson Sleek 4G-V for weak 4G LTE service
Thursday, 16 May 2013
New 3Gstore Tip Sheet to Enable Family-Friendly Settings On Your Peplink/Pepwave Router
3Gstore's latest tip sheet shows users of the Peplink Balance and Pepwave Surf SOHO routers how to enable the free Norton ConnectSafe security tool so that users on their network cannot access unsafe websites. These settings filter and block pornography, phishing attempts, potential malware, scams, and other unsafe URLs. Once your router is properly configured, any computer or device that is connected to your router will never be able to access these types of sites - they'll simply see an error message instead. This is a huge help to parents who want to give their kids internet access but don't want to worry about their kids seeing something they shouldn't be seeing, getting roped into a scam or phishing scheme, or infecting their computer with malware!
This tip sheet (and many, many more!) is available now for all 3Gstore customers who have purchased a Peplink Balance or Pepwave Surf SOHO router. To download it, log into our support portal at 3Gstore.com/support or send an email to support@3Gstore.com with the subject of "send me the family-friendly tip sheet!" and include your 3Gstore invoice number!
Wednesday, 15 May 2013
Cradlepoint Firmware 4.3.0 for CBR400/CBR450/MBR95/MBR1200B/MBR1400/IBR600/IBR650 Fixes Bugs & Adds Features
CradlePoint has released Firmware Version 4.3.0 for the CBR400, CBR450, MBR95, MBR1200B, MBR1400 (left), IBR600, and IBR650 routers. This latest firmware release doesn't add support for new modems or add any new features, but it does add some new features as well as fix a variety of bugs that some users were experiencing.
Added features and usability/UI changes:
- The Portsmith USB and Expresscard analog modem adapters are now supported.
- Feature Licensing has been added (MBR1400v2/IBR600/IBR650) to enable features that require a specific license from CradlePoint.
- NEMO (network mobility) support has been added (MBR1400v2/IBR600/IBR650).
- 802.1x Ethernet securtiy has been added (MBR1400v2/IBR600/IBR650), allowing configuration of an authentication server that will accept authentication requests from Ethernet-connected devices.
- VPN tunnels now allow a secondary remote gateway in a single tunnel.
- The IBR600 now supports up to 64 WiFi users (previously 32).
- IE 10 compatibility view support added.
- Subnet selection option added to the IP Passthrough Setup Wizard (MBR1400v2/IBR600/IBR650/CBR400/CBR450).
- Dynamic Modem Mode now displays the actual modes a modem supports.
- Added additional modem diagnostics: home carrier, registered carrier, roaming status.
- Added connection mode selection for Sierra Wireless 330U modem.
- Improve WiFi reliability with iOS devices and other devices that use a BroadCom chip for it's wireless client.
- Fixed the incorrect status display some LTE modem users were seeing.
- The web admin/UI can now be viewed in Internet Explorer 10 in compatibility mode.
- The Manual Firmware Upgrade tool has been fixed.
- Fixed the issue where remote admin was failing with multiple WANs.
- Fixed an issue with WAN Failure Check (active ping) where the WAN connection was coming back up with a different IP address that the router as not recognizing.
NOTE: A defect was found in 4.2.0 and fixed in 4.2.1 that affects future upgrades. Using the Manual Firmware Upload for future firmware uploads will appear to work but default configuration settings for new features will not be set correctly. This issue does not exist with Automatic (Internet) updates or updates using Wipipe Central. Please upgrade to 4.2.1 before upgrading to a later version if you wish to use Manual Firmware Upload.
3Gstore's tech team will be testing this latest firmware release extensively in the coming days. Share your experience or follow ours in the EVDO Forums: Cradlepoint Firmware 4.3.0 Success/Failure
Last Updated ( Wednesday, 15 May 2013 )
Wednesday, 15 May 2013
PayPal offers free mobile payment processing to compete with Square
In an effort to compete with mobile payment processor Square, PayPal is waiving its fees for anyone who switches from their existing point-of-sale service provider over to Paypal's "PayPal Here" mobile payment processing service or any other PayPal processing service. In a blog post, PayPal president David Marcus said: "We will offer free credit, debit card, check, and of course PayPal processing for the remainder of the year to any qualifying U.S business turning in their dusty old cash register in exchange for a modern solution like PayPal Here (iPad, card reader, iPad stand, cash drawer, and printer) - ShopKeep, Vend, ERPLY, NCR Silver, and more partners to be announced soon."
PayPal Here competes with the popular Square payment processor; merchants sign up for service and attach a mobile credit card reader to theirphone or tablet. The standard per-transaction fee for PayPal Here is 2.7%, but through the rest of 2013 merchants signing up for PayPal's services will not have to pay that fee.
Wednesday, 15 May 2013
Samsung announces 5G wireless with 1Gbps transfer rates
this week Samsung announced the company had discovered the “world’s
first 5G mmWave mobile technology.” The technology operates on an ultra
high millimeter-wave band at 28Ghz, with a speed up to 1.056Gbps and a
range of 2 kilometers. These wavelengths have never been considered for
cellular technology but Samsung is tackling those problems using array
transceiver technology with 64 antenna elements to counter the short
wavelength. The 5G Samsung tests aren’t likely to be a reality anytime
soon and the company doesn’t expect to see commercial implementation
before 2020. The next thing that consumers can anticipate is 4G LTE-A
(Advanced) with speeds up to 100Mbps, but it’s nice to know that
wireless speed is looking at another huge breakthrough.
Tuesday, 14 May 2013
BlackBerry Plans To Launch BBM Across Multiple Platforms This Summer
BlackBerry announced today that BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) will be available for both iPhone / iPad / Andriod devices this summer. So, if you still have business associates, family or friends that still have a BlackBerry and use that for instant messaging, your Andriod or iPhone will be able to communicate with BlackBerry devices natively.
In the first version of multi-platform BBM, iOS and Android users are
expected to be able to experience the following BBM features:
- The immediacy of BBM chats
- Multi-person chats
- Voice note sharing
- BlackBerry Groups, where BBM users are able to set up groups of up to 30 people and share calendar, photos, files and more
BBM Quick Facts:
- More than 60 million monthly active users
- More than 51 million daily active users who are connecting with
friends or colleagues an average of one and a half hours every day.
- BBM users send and receive more than 10 billion messages each day,
nearly twice as many messages per user per day as compared to other
mobile messaging apps
- Almost half of BBM messages are read within 20 seconds of being received; indicating how truly engaged BBM customers are