Advertisement
 

Verizon Implements Network Optimization - Throttling Top 5% of Users

User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
Monday, 19 September 2011

Verizon Implements Network Optimization - Throttling Top 5% of Users


In February Verizon announced a new network management system, which was designed to optimize the data experience for customers. This is done by managing the speed on "the top 5 percent of data users with 3G unlimited data plans", and allows the other 95% of customers to enjoy better data service. Verizon has indicated that these high data users are bringing the service down for the rest of customers and this policy will only affect a few users. If you're wondering what Verizon deems excessive, it's users consuming more than 2GB of data per month. The new network management system will not affect any LTE or tiered data customers and is aimed at customers with older plans no longer available.

Below you'll find the original details about their new network optimization released early this year in a PDF:

Important Information about Verizon Wireless Data Plans and Features

As part of our continuing efforts to provide the best experience to our more than 94 million customers, Verizon Wireless is introducing two new network management practices.
We are implementing optimization and transcoding technologies in our network to transmit data files in a more efficient manner to allow available network capacity to benefit the greatest number of users. These techniques include caching less data, using less capacity, and sizing the video more appropriately for the device. The optimization process is agnostic to the content itself and to the website that provides it. While we invest much effort to avoid changing text, image, and video files in the compression process and while any change to the file is likely to be indiscernible, the optimization process may minimally impact the appearance of the file as displayed on your device. For a further, more detailed explanation of these techniques, please visit www.verizonwireless.com/vzwoptimization

If you subscribe to a Data Plan or Feature on February 3, 2011 or after, the following applies:

Verizon Wireless strives to provide customers the best experience when using our network, a shared resource among tens of millions of customers. To help achieve this, if you use an extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top 5% of Verizon Wireless data users we may reduce your data throughput speeds periodically for the remainder of your then current and immediately following billing cycle to ensure high quality network performance for other users at locations and times of peak demand. Our proactive management of the Verizon Wireless network is designed to ensure that the remaining 95% of data customers aren't negatively affected by the inordinate data consumption of just a few users.   




Last Updated ( Monday, 19 September 2011 )
 
< Prev   Next >

EVDO News, Tips, Products, Reviews, Verizon and Sprint Experts.
Welcome to the #1 source for EVDO Information. Search our EVDO forums, read our EVDO Blogs, check EVDO coverage and when ready, buy your EVDO products from us, your EVDO Experts. Call us @ 1-866-3GSTORE.
 
The image “http://www.evdoinfo.com/images/stories/evdo_easy_button.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
 

CrawlTrack: free crawlers and spiders tracking script for webmaster- SEO script -script gratuit de dÔøΩtection des robots pour webmaster